What is Oil Pulling?
Oil pulling is an ancient practice which basically involves just swishing 1 to 2 teaspoons of a food grade oil, usually coconut oil or sesame oil, in your mouth for about 20 minutes for oral health.
The practice of oil pulling appears to have started in India but research suggests it’s has been around for thousands of years. While modern day research is just starting there are some promising benefits in studies shown to include, but not limited to
- Whitens Teeth
- Kills Bad Breath
- Boosts Immune System
- Reduces Inflamation
- Prevents Cavities
- Cures Tooth Decay
While modern day research is just beginning, as previously mentioned, it is clear that it is not harmful in any way but many who have tried it have found it personally helpful to include the author of this article. I have been oil pulling two or three time a week now for the past 3 months and have noticed less sensitivity in my teeth, whiter teeth, and fresher breath. Granted that’s not scientific research but an observation noted by me.
Various oils are used to oil pull but a favorite seems to be Organic Coconut Oil due to its other health benefits. Adding in Certified Therapeutic Food Grade Essential Oils (Found Here) to the Coconut oil makes it more tolerable as plain Coconut Oil is not the best tasting.
And while it’s not hard to add a drop of Peppermint or Cinnamon Essential Oil to Coconut Oil I prefer to make Oil Pulling Chews to have on hand when I need them.
How do I make Oil Pulling Chews?
- 1/2 Cup Organic Coconut Oil
- 25-30 Drops of Certified Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils in your choice of Flavor (Found Here)
- Soften the Coconut Oil until it is just melted to a liquid state.
- Add in your favorite flavor of CTPG Essential Oils (Peppermint, Cinnamon, OnGuard by doTerra are all popular choices) and mix well.
- Pour into silicone candy molds and refrigerate until hardened.
- Remove from molds and store in an airtight container in a cool place until ready to use. In the summertime I keep mine in the refrigerator as the Coconut Oil tends to melt in the summer heat.
- Put one of your Oil Pulling Chews in you mouth and allow the heat of your mouth to melt the chew, DO NOT SWALLOW.
- Gently Swish the melted oil in your mouth for about 20 minutes.
- Spit the used oil out in to the trash (not down the sink as it can clog your drain).
- Rinse your mouth out with warm water.
- Brush your teeth as normal.
- Do this as much as 3 to 4 times a week for best results.
You may only be able to swish for a few minutes at first, it may take you some time to work up to the 20 minutes. Try doing it while in the shower first thing in the morning prior to eating. Some people suggest doing it first thing in the morning as a rule but I have been doing it before bedtime with positive results.
WE WANT TO SEE YOUR RESULTS! Post a picture of your Pearly Whites from Oil Pulling on Instagram with @idiynetwork tagged!