Toothpaste is an essential tool we all need as part of a healthy lifestyle. Not only do we need it for our overall health, we also need it for our esthetics which helps with our emotional well being. It is something that we should be, and most of us are, putting in our mouths at least twice a day. So wouldn’t you want a natural solution for something you are using regularly? We’ve found this great, natural, homemade recipe for toothpaste that will clean your mouth and help prevent cavities. Plus it is so easy to make and you probably have most of the ingredients in your home already.
What you need:
- 3 tbsp Organic Coconut Oil (Required)
- 3 tbsp Baking Soda (Required)
- 10-15 drops of Certified Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils (Found Here – Make sure to use a flavor that you can ingest, not one that is meant only for aromatic or topical use only)
- Stevia (Optional for more of a sweet flavor)
You can also add Pure Himalayan Salt (may help heal cavities) or Aloe Vera Gel (for a smoother texture). These are completely optional, up to you to add or not. In fact the only two ingredients you actually need for this homemade toothpaste is the coconut oil and baking soda, the rest is entirely for flavoring and texture.
- Start with softened coconut oil. Don’t melt it, just make sure you can stir it.
- Add the Baking Soda and stir until well combined.
- Then add in the Essential Oils for Flavor. We like using Peppermint, or a Lemon combined with doTerra’s OnGuard. For children the Wild Orange is nice. Try using oils that also clean and strengthen your mouth like OnGuard.
- Add in any of the Optional ingredients and stir until well combined.
That’s it, just use like any any other toothpaste.
For more of a whitening effect we’ve heard that sprinkling a little activated charcoal on the toothbrush and toothpaste and brushing will bring out the white in your teeth. But only do this two or three times a week.