We love natural ideas at iDIY Network and that’s why we love this DIY Gel Air Freshener. It has the freshening power of Essential Oils with food grade materials which make it a natural alternative to commercial air fresheners. Plus it is so easy to make, you can make a batch in 10 minutes or less and have your whole home smelling fresh and clean in no time.
Plus, let’s face it, sometimes we need a good air freshener!
- 2 Envelopes Unflavored Gelatin
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 1 Cup Filtered Water
- 20-30 Drops of CPTG Essential Oils (Need Some? Click Here)
- Small Glass Mason Jars with Lids
- In a saucepan, heat 3/4 Cup of water and 1 Tablespoon Salt until the salt has dissolved completely.
- Very slowly add the two packets of unflavored gelatin and stir until well dissolved.
- Add 1/4 Cup cold water and stir.
- Pour into small Mason jars (usually takes one or two depending on the size of the jar and how many you want to make)
- Add Essential Oils of your choice to each mason jar and stir.
- Optionally you can add food coloring for aesthetics, you can even add glitter, silk flowers or whatever else just to dress it up to your liking.
- Refrigerate until your air freshener becomes a gel.
- Store with the lid on so it doesn’t dry out as fast and remove the lid as needed to freshen the air.
You can also poke small holes in the lid to keep it from drying out as fast while freshening the air. Avoid letting your kids or pets eat the gel, while technically all the main ingredients are safe to eat (depending on the Essential Oils you use) it’s just safer not to consume it. Especially if you’ve added glitter, etc.
Also, once the smell is gone, remake the gel and reuse the mason jars.
Note: if your homemade Air Freshener gets to hot it will melt the gel. Just refrigerate again until it solidifies.
We want to see your Results! Show us your homemade gel air fresheners by posting a picture on Instagram with @idiynetwork tagged!